SuperMoto Junkie banner

Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

979K views 2K replies 446 participants last post by  giorgi 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Recently it has become a known fact that there is a state that will allow you to mail in your information and they will mail you a plate along with a street legal title. I know that I have answered quite a few PM's concerning this question and up until recently I have been able to help some, but others, not so much. However, the information posted in this thread is quite the game changer! The state of South Dakota to getting our beloved sumo's legal in states that try to ruin the fun. For those of you who's DMV/Registration office determines a bike street legal status/ability by the VIN I'm not too sure how this would work, but if they go by the title...GAME ON! This information is coming straight from a member on here (who wishes to remain anonymous) who has successfully completed this process. Anybody else that has done this please post on here and either share your success story or give us a heads up on something to watch out for.

To get started, you will need to do the following:

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1792V1-FourWheelAllTerrainVehicleAffidavit.pdf

-you will need to fill out this form
-leave title number blank
-year, make, model
-put the name of who ever installed accessories to make the bike street legal (This can be your name)
-check all the boxes including 200cc (This is just confirming that the bike is 200cc or more)
-this form must be notarized, so don't sign it until you are in front of one

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secu...licationForMotorVehicleTitle&Registration.pdf

-fill out this form as well
-you will not need the date
-don't check any boxes in section I, section II, or section III
-fill in first box (your name)
-leave type of ownership and customer type blank
-identification# (needs to be your social security number)
-skip down and put in your address

section IV
-vin#
-put in make, model,
-body type- MC
-vehicle code- MC
-year and CC
-skip down to section V
-Just fill in purchase date

Don't need to put in anything else just sign and date the bottom

Besides these two forms, you'll need to send in the title or MSO and a copy of your driver's license. If the title isn't in your name you will have to call and find out what other forms you need (605)394-2163. You will also need to attach a note (preferably typed) that includes your name, email, phone number, and notate that you would like to pay by credit card over phone or internet and to contact you when they have a total price and are ready for payment.

Mail both forms, title/MSO, copy of Drivers license to:

Office of the Pennington County Treasurer
Pennington County courthouse
315 Saint Joseph St Suite 214
Rapid City SD 57701-2894

Additional Info.

Serial number is the same as the vin# (should be 17 characters long depending on year of bike) and you will need to send in the original title (they will be keeping your original title and sending you a new South Dakota title).

The fee is: $58.75 and a $3 credit card fee if applicable. You should receive your new title within 30 days.

note
Mlawler1 brought up a good point. Make sure to use your home address even though you're registering in S. Dakota. States only require that your bike is registered to you at your home address (so don't try and make a fake S. Dakota address). Use your address and your local police can't do anything because you're licensed and registered to your home address...just through a different state :D. Just make sure that the registration matches the information on your driver's license. (y)

See less See more
#1,835 ·
Thank you Crash279 for sharing this all the way back in 2013. Here we are years later and this is still helping the community.

I was interested in this topic and it led me here to this forum. To give back, here are the two forms that are hyperlinked in the original post.

Off road vehicle affidavit https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1792V2-OffRoadVehicleAffidavit.pdf

Application for motor vehicle title and registration https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secu...licationForMotorVehicleTitle&Registration.pdf

I hope this helps others.

Happy trails.

#1,838 ·
Yes it is. I followed all of the info in this thread, sent my paperwork in on 1/13/23, received an email a week later saying that everything looked good besides missing a form. I needed to fill out a '1001' form which I hadnt seen anything about on here. Once that was submitted they called me and took payment over the phone, plates were shipped on monday. Easy.

*The bike I plated had zero paperwork with it when I bought it. Follow the guidance in this thread and it will work.

#1,839 ·
Did this with my WR250F successfully last year. I just bought a TTR230 for the wife. I was wondering if I can send in the title that has all the info on it from the seller that says it’s being sold to my wife and just register it in SD. It’s a Florida title with previous owners name but filled in info to sell it to my wife. I’m still trying to call but it’s hard to get a hold of them sometimes. Just wondering if someone has done this before. I will keep trying to call til I find the answer.

#1,842 ·
God bless this thread. I'm about to file the paperwork for my 450 xc-w.

I got one question: Some of the latter posts here say that SD is asking for a document proving that I paid (sales?) tax for the bike. Can anyone confirm this?

I live in CA, this bike has a current green sticker and I have its OHV registration on me. Could this be considered a proof that the above tax has been paid?

#1,850 · (Edited)
Mail day for my '23 KTM 450 XCF-W!!! Just received my plate. For those unwilling to scroll back through almost 100 pages of info, below is what I had submitted.

Typed letter stating how I wanted to be contacted for payment
Bill of Sale from my dealer (I sent a photocopy)
Copy of my drivers license and SS card (both sides)
MSO (the original, not a photocopy)
Form 1015 (leave low speed section blank) - [South Dakota Department of Revenue] Low Speed and Off Road Vehicle Affidavit Form 1015
Form 0864 - https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secu...licationForMotorVehicleTitle&Registration.pdf

Sent to:
Pennington County Treasurer's Office
PO Box 6160
Rapid City, SD 57709

Took exactly 2 weeks from the day it was delivered and I got a call from an agent at the office. Paid over the phone and 11 days later I now have my plate. Title will be here in another 6 weeks and I will be transferring to my home state afterwards.

The only concern I have is all SD plates I have seen, start with the letter "M", and mine ends with a letter "M"... also, the registration card states "DIR" for the body type instead of "OFF" like most people have in this thread. I reached out to the office for clarity and will edit this once I hear back.

*EDIT - Spoke with the office, the new plates all end in "M" so no worries there. They mistyped the body type on my registration card, it should be "OFF" instead of "DIR". The state has to audit and correct the paperwork, which takes 8-10 weeks. And so we wait....

#1,852 ·
Why would you need to fill out the 1015? Its not going to be for off road anymore. its now just a motorcycle since you installed the street legal stuff. That form seems pointless and gives them an excuse to write Off road on the title. I got MC on one of my titles for my WRs the 2nd one came back Off Road and they both transferred to alabama with no problems. Im about to do my 300xc but dont want to include extra stuff for no reason.

#1,851 ·
This post has been deleted