MR2 SpyderChat banner

Time for a guessing game...

29K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  MidwestManiac 
#1 · (Edited)
Meet Spyder #9, or as I call her "Betty White"

Spyder #8 I picked up with white body panels, and the wife was infatuated with having a white Spyder since. So I found this one.
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

She was on Copart in Florida with flood damage.

The original plan was to simply rob the white body panels off of her and put them on the wife's current Spyder, #5. But plans changed when she reached my garage and I started shaking the salt water rust and problems out of her.
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire

Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire

Last pics are when I brought her up here into the Midwest and got her a fresh full detail on the exterior and interior, and a ceramic coat on the exterior.

Now I've only revealed the mileage to a few people on Facebook and discord, so, who can guess the mileage of this white 2001 MR2 Spyder. (And if you already know, no telling :p )

See less See more
#10 ·
Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Rim

Bridle Horse tack Bit Motor vehicle Helmet

Automotive tire Tire Tread Saw Wood

Personal protective equipment Art Auto part Button Wood

So I had a picture of the starter somewhere... Not sure where it went but the first time I tried starting her up the power steering pump kicked on right away with the key on, also could not read anything with my OBD2 reader, so the ECU was fried from the saltwater. Attempted to engage the starter, you could hear the battery draw and the solenoid inside of the starter click, however no rotation. I had a spare starter from a parts car laying around, I removed the old starter and found that it was completely seized, the arm would not extend and I could not spin the gear by hand or with a pliers. Put in the other starter, starter engaged with the key, plugs out, no moisture found inside of the engine.

Changed the oil on both the transmission and engine, both oils were very very fresh, no water content. No evidence of water making it past the air filter, so I didn't bother removing the intake to check for water.

Had two ECUs flashed by Paul Hibbs via the spyder chat Facebook group, reprogrammed the keys to the ECU, engine fired after the first second of cranking... Friggin nuts...

Had lots of running noise though, one of the running noises being the throwout bearing. I changed that in one night except I kind of buggered up the passenger side CV shaft seal which I am going to try and replace tonight or tomorrow. The other noise once I fixed the TOB noise was the tensioner pulley. After replacing that the engine runs as quiet as it can be.

Put on a header that I gutted the pre-cats out of, planned on selling the 21k mile header from the car to someone who may need it to pass inspection. While I had the header off to remove the transmission and everything I found water sitting in the midpipe, did the right thing and just shoved a vacuum down the mid-pipe for a few minutes and sucked out a decent amount of water.

The exhaust does have some rust spots pretty much everywhere, and while the car was running at the beginning was putting out some rusty water, but that seems to have subsided.

Hardest part about this car is my wife is very opinionated... She did not like the peanut butter interior and soft top right away, wanted me to change over the top and interior from Spyder #5.

Thankfully now she's kind of come around on it and is willing to keep the peanut butter around. Hopefully part of the reasoning is because I told her it's pretty much sacrilege to take the car apart as she sits and change her from OEM with so few miles on her.

#13 ·
I planned to spray down all the connections with some spray and let them sit for a while but the cleaning spray I ordered hasn't arrived yet. The water level definitely reached the starter and ECU level obviously. But I have sprayed the fuse and relay boxes in the engine bay, the front bay upper fuse and relay boxes didn't have any evidence of salt water in them.

It's definitely on my to do list, but currently putting a new passenger side CV seal in and buttoning her up a bit and bringing her to my storage shed/shop to let the wife's Camry back into the garage before we get snowed in again.

#14 ·
I don't know what the spray is that you are thinking of, but I would wash the salt out. If you don't, then whenever you have a humid day the corrosion is going to start up again. If I need to do a fast wash and dry, I use alcohol. If you don't have a time limit, then water and air dry should be just fine.

I strongly recommend keeping the battery disconnected until your salt water remediation is done. Most of the water related damage to electronics happens when people turn the gadget on to see if it still works.

#15 ·
I used an alcohol based electronics cleaner in the engine bay, someone recommended a specific type of marine alcohol-based electronics cleaner that I'm waiting to arrive. I drove the car last night out to the storage building for Cold storage for now. I haven't noticed any battery draw currently

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.